Thursday, November 18, 2010

* Thoughts on Social Media

Today I thought about deleting my facebook account.

and my twitter account.

and my My Space.

and any other social media context I am connected too.

Do you want to know why?

Well, here goes. After reading many a blog entry regarding digital detoxing, creative business and saying good bye to social media, I felt the urge / pull towards deleting all of these media outlets.

Since I joined "most" of the social medias on the internet, my personal, social and business life have basically gone down the toilet. That's not to say that I don't enjoy being online and "connecting" with all the beautiful peoples I've met. I do.

What I am saying is that every other aspect of life that I once enjoyed, has gone wayward. If I am not texting someone, I am facebooking them. If I am not twittering random "stuff" I am lost in updating myspace and other media. What happened to being about ringing someone and just chatting over the phone. Or meeting them for coffee or something? I mean, right now, what am I doing / logged into? I am writing this post, while replying to a text, thinking about a status update (for the business) all this and people wonder why we can't slow down and just take a moment.

For the most part I've been ok with all of my online activities. But in saying that, my head is always here, somewhere. There isn't a day that I am not logged into something, sometime. And I will be honest it's become all too natural thing I do with my daily routine. Which isn't what I wanted at all. Life shouldn't be lived out online 24 hours, 7 days a week.

As much as I love being able to connect and "meet" people online, I think I prefer to do it face to face. I know that there are many advantages in having online connections, and using these to their full potenial business wise, but I sometimes feel that there is a lack "personal" connections with some people and how things are done. For example, people I've gone to school with, seeking me out and wanting to add me. I do the right thing and say yes, but there is never anything else after that. What's up with that? Or the people who prefer to say hi or "like" something you've said, but don't reply to texts or call any more. What's up with that?
and trust I've been guilty of doing the same thing.

I am also aware that these days online connections and social media are becoming the norm for businesses. I'm just not sure it's for me and my business. I guess for me its hard to find the right balance of what is meant for "Personal" friends and "business" friends and / or clients. But at the same time I feel that perhaps there is a need for this social media for business connections. Do you see where I am at? I guess I am leaning more towards getting rid of all these social media connections and sticking to what I know best.

This space and this blog.

I like it here.

I feel comfortable here and where I can be me and share all that is going on in my world. So if you'd like to join me here, please do. I mean what's the point of starting my lovely creative beautiful business, if I don't have time to do anything creative to share with you.

Which is why I think it is time.

Time to delete and creat more.

For now, though I am going to be taking a sabbatical from my "business" facebook, myspace and twitter accounts. So if you are one of my "friends" and would like to contact me, please feel free to call, text or e-mail me. I'll be happy to reply ;o)

and on that note, see you on the otherside with lots more updates and photo posts.

Love Toni M xo

P.S. Thanks to Susannah Conway, Marisa and Pixie Campbell; for the massive kick up the butt I needed to get this far. All you beauties Rock xox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think phone calls are probably one of the worst ways of communicating with someone as its normally only convenient for the person initiating the call.

Online is very convenient for people with regular internet access as both parties reply/communicate when suitable for them. Skype is one of the better online communication methods as you have the added bonus of hearing and seeing someone. Online communication has also provided a much cheaper and easier alternative for those who live long distances away.

In person is definitely the best as its usually a time considered ok by both parties and you aren't hiding behind any kind of technology :)

In terms of deleting stuff, I think a lot of social media like Facebook and Twitter could probably be done without, but I don't think reducing other more one on one online communication is a good idea.

Now I'm thinking of deleting Facebook again. Problem is, that they leave your account for 14 days so you can change your mind easily LOL And I also would miss out on all the Roller Derby photos and training updates :(